A new variable refrigerant flow (VRF) incentive is now available for qualifying customers. A VRF heating and air conditioning system is a specific type of HVAC system which utilizes an outdoor unit that connects to multiple indoor units. Energy Trust’s incentives are specifically for air-cooled VRF multi-split heat pumps used for space conditioning. While there are different methods of providing outside air with a VRF system, Energy Trust requires that a dedicated outdoor air system (DOAS) be installed in parallel with the VRF system.
To qualify for the VRF incentive, projects must meet the following requirements:
- Area served by VRF must be greater than or equal to 25,000 square feet
- Buildings must be primarily used for offices or school classrooms
- DOAS with energy recovery that meets a 50% enthalpy recovery efficiency minimum must be installed
- DOAS air must be supplied at a neutral space temperature
- Each condenser unit must have a rated cooling capacity greater than five tons with variable speed compressor operation and must serve multiple indoor evaporator units
- System must meet or exceed 2016 CEE Tier 1 air-cooled VRF efficiency levels
- The majority of the indoor fan units must be set to cycle rather than run continuously during occupied hours
Energy Trust offers $1 per square foot of area served by a qualifying VRF system. The incentive is eligible for both retrofits and new construction of offices and schools.