Overview of Pathway
Energy Trust of Oregon, in collaboration with workforce development specialists and contractor partners, has created the Contractor Connect Mentorship Pathway (CCMP) for trade allies. Trade allies is a designation granted to independent businesses that include contractors, engineers, architects, and green building design firms that meet certain criteria. Trade allies help deliver our programs by informing customers of the funding we have available and using that to sell energy efficient upgrades like HVAC equipment and insulation.
The purpose of this pathway is to connect experienced trade allies with emerging trade allies through one-on-one mentoring relationships. Its key objectives include strengthening support for minority and women-owned contractors, fostering trade ally connections, sharing business and industry knowledge, and providing mentees with the tools and understanding they need to grow and develop their businesses.
Who can be a Mentee?
As a mentee, trade allies interested in growing or strengthening their businesses can learn from seasoned professionals. Each mentoring session can vary in duration but might last approximately one hour. Mentees will receive a worksheet that supports learning about the topic. Topics may include bidding, estimating, hiring talent, and marketing.
Benefits for Mentees
- Learn from an experienced professional in your industry
- Expand your professional network
- Learn about the energy efficiency industry and Energy Trust incentive programs
- Individualized business guidance
Who can be a Mentor?
Established trade allies who are interested in enhancing their leadership skills to support new and emerging trade allies in the industry are strongly encouraged to apply to be a mentor. Each mentoring session can vary in duration but might last approximately one hour. Mentors will receive general talking points and questions to guide the conversation about a given topic as well as any relevant resources.
Benefits of Participation for Mentors
- Opportunities to expand your professional network
- Business featured on Energy Trust’s Insider website
- Develop your skills as a leader
- Compensation of $150 per hour
Participants must be enrolled in Energy Trust’s Residential Trade Ally Network prior to the pathway start date and be available to commit to the time requirements. Please reach out to a member of the Contractor Connect Mentorship Pathway team at email@example.com for help with questions or enrollment.
- Have a desire to expand your knowledge, tools, and resources to help grow and strengthen your business
- Availability to meet time requirements of up to 18 hours over a three month period (Oct-Dec)
- Have a strong interest in sharing information and helping others develop skills to grow their business
- Have been in business for three or more years
- Have completed three or more projects with Energy Trust’s incentive programs within the past five years
- Have experience with, or knowledge of, becoming COBID certified
- Can commit to up to 13 hours over a three-month period (Oct-Dec)
Business owners are strongly encouraged to apply to be a mentor if their business meets any of the following:
- Self-identified as Black-owned, Indigenous-owned, person of color-owned, women-owned and/or COBID certified (with a strong focus on minority business enterprises and women business enterprises)
- Located in a rural area
- Eager to learn more about energy efficiency and how to grow your business in this industry
- Desire to provide learning opportunities for up-and-coming trade professionals
How to Apply
Applications closed on September 18, 2023.
If you need assistance filling out the application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the Contractor Connect Mentorship Pathway (CCMP) for Trade Allies, review the recorded online information series below.
*Participants must be enrolled in Energy Trust’s Residential Trade Ally Network by the pathway start date.
Not yet a member of our contractor network? Apply to join our Trade Ally Network and set yourself apart from the competition.