Energy Trust updates incentives on January 1 of each year to ensure we offer cost-effective savings. The following changes went into effect January 1, 2018, and only apply to the Existing Multifamily program. Any incentives not listed below will remain at their current 2017 levels.
A full list of changes can be found below. Some key changes include:
- Windows—Double pane window replacements for stacked structures of 5 or more units are discontinued in 2018. Qualifying double-pane window replacement projects that are planned or underway, but did not complete by December 31, 2017, may request an extension through March 31, 2018, and still receive 2017 incentives. Contact email@example.com to request an extension.
- Ducted heat pump—Requirements and incentive align with Existing Homes in 2018. Properties with an existing electric furnace will be eligible for a $700 incentive to install a ducted heat pump with HSPF 8.5 or greater. Can be combined with $250 heat pump controls incentive. Duplex, triplex, fourplex and side-by-side properties only.
- Ducted heat pump advanced controls—New incentive aligning with Existing Homes in 2018. $250 incentive for qualifying thermostat installed with new or existing heat pump set to 35°F lockout temperature. Heat pump must have electric furnace backup. No HSPF requirement on existing heat pump. Must be installed by contractor. Cannot be combined with Smart Thermostat incentive. Duplex, triplex, fourplex and side-by-side properties only.
- Rooftop unit controls—Incentives for new and replacement rooftop units with manufacturer-installed controls including economizers, demand control ventilation (DCV) and variable frequency drives (VFD). Incentives are only available when equipment is not required by code.
- Gas furnace—Shifting to a per kBtu/h incentive structure based on thermal efficiency for stacked structures with 5 or more units. $1.50 per kBtu/h for 91-94 percent efficiency, $2 per kBtuh/h for 95-97 percent efficiency and $3 per kBtu/h for 98 percent efficiency. Incentive for gas furnaces at duplex, triplex, fourplex, and side-by-side properties will be unchanged in 2018.
- Electric water heater—Incentives for conventional electric tank water heaters will be discontinued in mid-2018 due to new federal minimum efficiency standards. No changes to heat pump water heater incentives.
You can find revised 2018 application forms at the Existing Multifamily forms page.
Existing Multifamily incentive changes effective January 1, 2018:
|Measure||2017 Details||2017 Incentive||2018 Details||2018 Incentive|
|Windows||U-value 0.30 or lower, replacing single or double pane in stacked structures with 5 or more units||$2 per sq ft replacing double pane; $3 per sq ft replacing single pane||Single-pane replacement only||$3 per sq ft replacing single pane|
|Ducted heat pump||Must replace electric heat; Duplex, triplex, fourplex and side-by-side properties only||$450 for HSPF 9.0-9.49|
$700 for HSPF 9.5+
|Must replace electric heat; Duplex, triplex, fourplex and side-by-side properties only||$700 for HSPF 8.5+|
|NEW Ducted heat pump advanced controls||N/A||N/A||35°F lockout temp with qualifying thermostat; contractor install only; duplex, triplex, fourplex and side-by-side structures only||$250 can be combined with $700 ducted heat pump incentive when installing new heat pump
Cannot be combined with smart thermostat incentive
|Gas furnace||90% AFUE or greater as primary heat source||$300 per unit||91% thermal efficiency or greater as primary heat source; 225kBtu/h maximum input capacity; stacked structures with 5 or more units||$1.50 per kBtu/h for 91-94%
$2.00 per kBtu/h for 95-97%
$3.00 per kBtu/h for 98%
Same as 2017 for duplex, triplex, fourplex and side-by-side properties
|NEW Rooftop unit controls||N/A||N/A||• Manufacturer-installed controls on new or replacement rooftop units|
• Cannot be required by code
• Gas furnace or heat pump heating eligible
• Economizer: Cooling capacity <54,000 Btu/h
• Demand control ventilation (DCV): Must have economizer
• Variable frequency drive (VFD): Must have both economizer and DCV; Cooling capacity <110,000 Btu/h; supply fan motors <10 hp
|Economizer: $30 per ton
DCV: $29 per ton
VFD: $100 per ton
|Electric water heater||EF 0.93 or greater||$35 for EF 0.93|
$75 for EF 0.94
|Discontinuing mid-year 2018||Discontinuing mid-year 2018|
|Residential clothes washer||IMEF 2.38 or greater; front-loading only||$120 per unit||IMEF 2.38 or greater; front-loading only; tub capacity of 2.5 cubic ft or larger||$120 per unit|
|Commercial clothes washer||MEF 2.2 or greater; WF 4.5 or lower; common area only; 7 year lease term requirement||$300 per unit||MEF 2.2 or greater; WF 4.5 or lower; common area only; 7 year lease term requirement; front-loading only||$300 per unit|
For more information about incentive changes and effective dates, contact Nate Collins, trade ally coordinator, at 503.278.3075.