Business Development Fund Guidelines
For Home Retrofit
As a Home Retrofit trade ally, you are eligible to receive partial reimbursement for marketing projects, training and personal protective equipment (PPE) approved by Energy Trust. Using the Energy Trust logo in your marketing pieces positions your business as an energy-efficiency expert, while participating in training helps your business improve and grow.
See the Other Offers tab to find out more about training, equipment discounts, and other business development opportunities.
For questions regarding the guidelines and requirements listed below, email the trade ally team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.866.365.3526.
Business development funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Pre-approval is required for all marketing projects and trainings. Pre-approval qualifies projects for reimbursement but does not reserve funds. Funds will not be distributed until final invoices for qualified, pre-approved projects are submitted.
Steps for Reimbursement
1. Request pre-approval before releasing your marketing project or attending training. Email completed Residential pre-approval application and draft versions of your marketing piece or training/event description to email@example.com.
2. Produce your marketing materials or attend your training.
After receiving Energy Trust’s written approval, you may proceed to produce your materials or attend your class.
3. Submit for payment.
Submit an invoice for print and production or training costs within 15 days of the release of your project or the date of training.
Energy Trust cannot pay designers, printers or other suppliers directly. In addition to the invoice, each project also requires proof of completion. A certificate of completion is required for trainings.
CLEAResult, program implementer for Energy Trust, will issue reimbursement checks within 60 business days of receiving all required materials. Funds are limited and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Funding and project eligibility are subject to change. Energy Trust reserves the right to decline reimbursement for any project.
|Standard Trade Ally||MBE, WBE, VBE & Rural1 Trade Ally|
|Annual maximum: $3,000|
Amount reimbursed: 30%
• Only $2,000 may be reimbursed for trainings
• $200 per person maximum for training
• 50% reimbursement for bilingual advertisements
|Annual maximum: $4,000
Amount reimbursed: 50%
• Only $2,000 may be reimbursed for trainings
• $250 per person maximum for training
|Minimum reimbursement: |
• $75 for marketing
• $75 for training
• $75 for marketing
• $75 for training
1Minority Business Enterprise (MBE), Women Business Enterprise (WBE) and Veteran Business Enterprise (VBE) designate minority-owned, women-owned and veteran-owned businesses. Rural businesses are designated as businesses that serve rural customers.
Business Development Funds now eligible for PPE
Energy Trust provides partial reimbursement for marketing projects, trainings, and now PPE through Business Development Funds. As a trade ally, you are eligible to receive reimbursement in accordance with the Business Development Guidelines per your enrolled trade ally program status and a pre-approval application form can be found within the guideline pages:
Trade allies are now able to submit for PPE reimbursement for equipment purchased January 1, 2022 through December 31, 2022. Reimbursement for PPE purchases must be submitted within the same calendar year. To apply for reimbursement, submit the pre-approval application, along with an itemized invoice for the qualified PPE purchased.
- Project must promote Energy Trust Residential offers
- Pre-approval is required
- Must have submitted at least one project for approval in the previous 12 months
- Project must meet logo and text requirements
If you are a trade ally enrolled in more than one Energy Trust program, you may receive business development funds from only one program for an individual marketing piece or training; no piece or training shall receive funding from more than one program. The annual maximums of the Home Retrofit and EPS New Construction offerings, which make up the Residential program, cannot be combined. A trade ally participating in more than one business development program is eligible for the maximum yearly cap from each program.
Eligible Marketing Projects
|• Direct mail
|Online||• Banner ad
• Pay-per-click ad including social media sponsored posts
• Social media sponsored posts: Eligible websites include Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Yelp. Trade allies must seek pre-approval before running any ads.
• Paid search
|Broadcast||• Radio and TV ad: Content should represent how your business services can help your customers improve home energy performance. Air tests of all radio and TV ads must be included when requesting pre-approval|
|Professional development||• Training/certification: For more details, see the Other Offers tab|
|Staff support||• Tablet and equipment discounts: For more details, see the Other Offers tab|
Although press releases are not eligible for reimbursement, Energy Trust requests that all press releases receive our approval to ensure that content follows Energy Trust marketing guidelines. Please allow five business days for review and approval.
1. Trade Ally Logo
Energy Trust Trade Ally logo must be included on all pieces and must be used in black and white against a solid color background. Space surrounding Energy Trust Trade Ally logo must be at least the size of the “burst,” as shown below.
Download the Energy Trust Trade Ally logo from the Logo Resources page.
2. Text Requirements (select one)*
*Projects that do not include one of the required text statements will not qualify for reimbursement. In addition, project must include specific mentions of Energy Trust Residential offers.
If your marketing project does not allow for full text requirements, for example, online banner ads, exceptions will be considered.
For trade allies in Oregon
- As an approved trade ally contractor of Energy Trust of Oregon, we are qualified to improve the energy efficiency and comfort of your home.
- As an Energy Trust of Oregon trade ally, we can help you access cash incentives to make it easier to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- We are working with Energy Trust of Oregon to help you reduce energy costs and improve the comfort of your home.
For trade allies in Washington
- As an approved trade ally of Energy Trust, we can help NW Natural customers in Washington access cash incentives to make home energy improvements easier.
For questions regarding guidelines or requirements, contact the trade ally team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1.866.365.3526.
- If a project is eligible for different incentives based on efficiency, please use the words “up to” before stating the incentive amount.
Energy Trust of Oregon:
- Refer to Energy Trust of Oregon as “Energy Trust of Oregon” on the first use and “Energy Trust” thereafter. Do not refer to Energy Trust as “ETO” or “the Trust.”
- Do not use “partner,” “partnership” or “partnering” when associating Energy Trust with your business. Use “trade ally contractor of” or “working with.”
- For Washington trade allies only, you may refer to Energy Trust of Oregon as “Energy Trust” and omit “of Oregon.”
Additional requirements and exclusions:
- You may not use the Energy Trust trade ally logo or our name on any classified listing, such as Craigslist or Angie’s List.
- You may not use the Energy Trust trade ally logo on vehicles or places of business.
- Energy Trust reserves the right to deny use of the Energy Trust trade ally logo at any time.
Training, Continuing Education and Memberships: The following pre-approved expenses are eligible for business development funds:
- Trainings and workshops listed on the Training & Education Calendar
- Construction Contractors Board (CCB) or Building Performance Institute (BPI) continuing education classes
- Industry conferences
- Membership dues for trade organizations (i.e. National Association of Minority Contractors, Professional Business Development Group, LatinoBuilt, Oregon Association of Minority Entrepreneurs, Oregon Solar + Storage Industries Association, Southwest Contractor’s Association, etc.)
To request reimbursement for other trainings not listed above, submit the pre-approval application for consideration.
Equipment Discounts: Trade allies are eligible for a 10% discount for equipment purchased from participating vendors.
Tablets: Trade allies are eligible for a 50% reimbursement up to $200 for the purchase of a business tablet. One tablet reimbursement allowed per calendar per year.
Apparel purchases are not eligible for reimbursement, but trade allies may use the Energy Trust trade ally logo on apparel after receiving Energy Trust approval.
Events are not eligible for reimbursement, but trade allies may display an “Ask Us About Cash Incentives” Energy Trust sign at their event booth after receiving Energy Trust approval. Email email@example.com to request a sign and receive pre-approval.