Solar Ready and Solar + Storage Ready
For EPS New Construction
Plan Ahead for Seamless Solar and Storage Installation
Solar ready homes are built to allow for easier installation of a solar electric system when the time is right. By designing an energy smart home with roof space with proper orientation and free of obstructions, installing conduit from the attic to the electric panel, and leaving room for future components of a solar electric system, you can add flexibility and value to your homes. Energy Trust offers resources to help you build solar ready and distinguish your homes in the marketplace by showcasing this valuable feature to your customers.
Solar + storage ready homes are built to allow for easier installation of a battery electric storage system (BESS) when the time is right. By installing a protected loads subpanel, reserving breakers in the protected loads subpanel to serve both solar and battery storage, and leaving room for future components of a BESS you can add further flexibility and value to your homes.
To build your homes solar ready, and to learn about solar + storage ready options, talk to your program verifier and share the solar ready & solar + storage ready installation requirements with your licensed electrical subcontractor.
For more information, questions or comments, email our EPS New Construction team or call us at 1.877.283.0698.
- Learn about available incentives. Before construction starts, contact Energy Trust at 1.877.283.0698 or email us to discuss your project and learn about available incentives.
- Establish the home’s eligibility. Contact a program-approved verifier to establish eligibility.
- Hire a solar trade ally contractor. An Energy Trust approved solar trade ally contactor will help inform your home design to maximize solar output and could install your home’s solar system.
- Share the specifications. Ensure the project meets the solar ready and solar + storage ready installation requirements by sharing the specifications with your licensed electrical subcontractor and design team.
- Receive your incentives. Your verifier will inspect the infrastructure for compliance at first and second inspections. You will receive your incentive with your whole-home incentive check at project completion.
Energy Trust provides a maximum incentive of $200 per home to builders to reduce the upfront cost of building solar ready. For additional details on how to meet solar ready incentive requirements, please refer to the solar ready brochure and the solar ready installation requirements.
Solar + Storage Ready
Energy Trust provides a maximum incentive of $200 per home to builders to reduce the installation cost of verified infrastructure for battery electric storage systems (BESS).
Solar + storage ready homes must include:
- Main electrical panel with breaker for protected loads subpanel located on the opposite end from the main service feeder for designated protected loads
- Protected loads subpanel must be sized to accommodate at a minimum solar, battery storage, and the following designated circuits:
- Lighting circuits for the primary living area
- Outlet circuits for the primary living area
- Lighting circuits for the kitchen
- Outlet circuits for the kitchen including the circuit intended for the refrigerator
- Space reserved in the protected loads subpanel for breakers to serve both solar and battery storage that are clearly labeled “Reserved for Battery Storage” and “Reserved for Solar”
- Sign or label that is clearly posted on or near the protected loads subpanel indicating “This home is Solar + Storage Ready”
- A 1” or larger flexible metal conduit from bottom of the protected loads subpanel that terminates in a 4×4” recessed deep metal box with a metal cover clearly labeled “Reserved for Battery Storage”
- Reserved 48×72” area of wall space located next to the protected loads subpanel for future mounting of solar equipment, BESS equipment and controls
- If located on the exterior of the house, this area must be protected from sun exposure
NOTE: Incentives are subject to funding availability and may change.
Homes with installed battery electric storage systems equipment can also qualify for solar + storage ready incentives. Contact your verifier or Energy Trust for more details about installed battery electric storage systems.
See the Resources tab for a link to the solar ready and solar + storage ready installation requirements for complete details.