Sustainable Homes Professional
- This event has passed.
Join the Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP) program and learn cutting edge design and building best practices from our expert instructor, Stephen Aiguier of Green Hammer, as he guides participants through the entire spectrum of high performance building and shares practical insights on the following:
- Building science fundamentals & moisture management
- High performance wall & roof assemblies
- HVAC product selection & integrated system design
- Water conservation techniques
- Indoor air quality, green material considerations & health impacts
- Local green/energy efficiency building programs & incentives
SHP is a comprehensive, interactive, experience-driven education program for residential and multifamily building and design professionals who are looking to take their projects to the next level of quality. Each of the six monthly modules can be taken individually and provide participants with an opportunity to gain valuable information and eliminate common barriers to high performance building via:
- Lecture, discussion, hands-on exercises, & short assignments
- Guest speakers that share past projects, experiences, & expertise on issues that are critical to building quality homes successfully
- Two tours of under-construction or recently-completed green certified homes with builders & raters on-site to explain approaches, reveal cost/benefit analysis, & answer questions
- A final project that progresses throughout the course and puts principles into practice by guiding participants in designing their own high performance building or research project
A certification exam at the end of the course allows participants to earn the designation of an accredited Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP). Earth Advantage also provides logos and marketing support to help SHPs gain visibility as informed green building professionals.
The SHP accreditation program was first offered in 2008 and has since has been offered over 20 times across Oregon, all the while maintaining a longstanding reputation for depth, applied learning, and outstanding quality. SHP is complementary to other industry credentials, like LEED AP, LEED GA, SBA, CPHC, BPI, HERS, and others. SHPs are architects, builders, developers, remodelers, raters/verifiers, subcontractors, planners, engineers, third-party verification program staff, real estate professionals, appraisers, educators, and building operators who value quality craftsmanship, whole system thinking, and sustainable practices.
- Overcome common barriers & misconceptions of high performance building
- Analyze the costs & benefits of incorporating green building products and approaches
- Take advantage of financial incentives and technical assistance offered by governments, utilities and nonprofits
- Identify the full breadth of building best practices from site layout to flooring selection
- Enhance your knowledge of building science & how a home functions as a system
- Establish a sustainable design goal by incorporating energy, water, & resource efficiency while maintaining a comfortable, durable, healthy building
- Develop marketing strategies & support to strengthen the business case for green building
- Gain a builder/designer-centric approach to achieving the following certification standards: Passive House, Zero Energy, Earth Advantage®, LEED®, EPS, ENERGY STAR, Living Building Challenge, & more.
- 10 site visit tours to certified homes and 5 guest speaker presentations (see photos)
- Special guest access to the Earth Advantage Home Certification online points worksheet for final project review & submission
- Professional differentiation that comes with accredited SHP designation, use of logo, and listing on the Earth Advantage Accredited Professionals online registry
- Valuable networking opportunities with green building experts and fellow accredited SHPs that will help you develop a strong referral network
- SHP Manual, Resource Guide and course textbooks:
- Discounts on future Earth Advantage and partner trainings and events
ortland, OR Earth Advantage Classroom 623 SW Oak Street, Third Floor, Portland, OR 97205 (map)
|Course Modules||Portland, OR Fall 2019|
|Module 1: Green Building Market & Integrated Design||Nov 15 & 16|
|Module 2: Building Science Fundamentals||Dec 6 & 7|
|Module 3: High Performance Building Envelopes||Jan 10 & 11|
|Module 4: Mechanical Systems and Performance Testing||Feb 7 & 8|
|Module 5: Health, Materials, and Water||Mar 6 & 7|
|Module 6: Final Presentations and Certification Exam||Apr 3 & 4|
Questions? Contact Heather Kendall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.968.7160 x20.