Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP)
- This event has passed.
Join the Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP) program and learn cutting edge design and building best practices from our expert instructor, Stephen Aiguier of Green Hammer, as he guides participants through the entire spectrum of high performance building and shares practical insights on the following:
- Building science fundamentals & moisture management
- High performance wall & roof assemblies
- HVAC product selection & integrated system design
- Water conservation techniques
- Indoor air quality, green material considerations & health impacts
- Local green/energy efficiency building programs & incentives
SHP is a comprehensive, interactive, experience-driven education program for residential and multifamily building and design professionals who are looking to take their projects to the next level of quality. Each of the six monthly modules can be taken individually and provide participants with an opportunity to gain valuable information and eliminate common barriers to high performance building via:
- Lecture, discussion, hands-on exercises, & short assignments
- Guest speakers that share past projects, experiences, & expertise on issues that are critical to building quality homes successfully
- Two tours of under-construction or recently-completed green certified homes with builders & raters on-site to explain approaches, reveal cost/benefit analysis, & answer questions
- A final project that progresses throughout the course and puts principles into practice by guiding participants in designing their own high performance building or research project
A certification exam at the end of the course allows participants to earn the designation of an accredited Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP). Earth Advantage also provides logos and marketing support to help SHPs gain visibility as informed green building professionals.
The SHP accreditation program was first offered in 2008 and has since has been offered over 20 times across Oregon, all the while maintaining a longstanding reputation for depth, applied learning, and outstanding quality. SHP is complementary to other industry credentials, like LEED AP, LEED GA, SBA, CPHC, BPI, HERS, and others. SHPs are architects, builders, developers, remodelers, raters/verifiers, subcontractors, planners, engineers, third-party verification program staff, real estate professionals, appraisers, educators, and building operators who value quality craftsmanship, whole system thinking, and sustainable practices.
- Overcome common barriers & misconceptions of high performance building
- Analyze the costs & benefits of incorporating green building products and approaches
- Take advantage of financial incentives and technical assistance offered by governments, utilities and nonprofits
- Identify the full breadth of building best practices from site layout to flooring selection
- Enhance your knowledge of building science & how a home functions as a system
- Establish a sustainable design goal by incorporating energy, water, & resource efficiency while maintaining a comfortable, durable, healthy building
- Develop marketing strategies & support to strengthen the business case for green building
- Gain a builder/designer-centric approach to achieving the following certification standards: Passive House, Zero Energy, Earth Advantage®, LEED®, EPS, ENERGY STAR, Living Building Challenge, & more.
When & Where
|Course Modules||Portland, OR Fall 2018|
|Module 1: Green Building Market & Integrated Design||Nov 2 & 3|
|Module 2: Building Science Fundamentals||Dec 7 & 8|
|Module 3: High Performance Building Envelopes||Jan 11 & 12|
|Module 4: Mechanical Systems and Performance Testing||Feb 8 & 9|
|Module 5: Health, Materials, and Water||Mar 8 & 9|
|Module 6: Final Presentations and Certification Exam||Apr 5 & 6|
- AIA: 84 total LU/HSW for all 6 modules; 14 per module (pending approval)
- BPI: 35 total units for all 6 modules; 7 per module 1-5 (pending approval)
- CCB: 84 total CEs for all 6 modules; 14 per module
- CPHC: 14 CEs for module 2 & 7 for module 3
- OCHI: 84 total CEs for all 6 modules; 14 per module
- Living Future Accred: 14 total CEs for modules 2-3; 7 per module 2-3 (available upon request)
- OR Real Estate Agency: 84 total CEs for all 6 modules; 14 per module
- OR Appraiser Board (ACLB): 28 total CEs for modules 4-5, 14 per module 4-5
- EA Broker Renewal: 84 total CEs; 14 per module
- AGA Renewal: 84 total CEs; 14 per module
- $1375 | Earth Advantage (EA) Builders, EA Remodelers, EA Brokers, Accredited Green Appraisers, & Minority and Women Business Enterprise Certification (M/WSB) Certification
- $1475 | Energy Trust Trade Allies, HBA Members, AIAs, PHnw Members & Sustainable Building Advisors
- $1600 | General Admission
- $275 | Individual Modules
- $100 Early Bird Discount ends Oct. 6
- $100 Group Discount for 2 or more
- Energy Trust of Oregon trade allies working with EPS New Construction are eligible for partial reimbursement for this course. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Full-tuition scholarships are not available at this time. Fill out the Interest Form linked below to receive updates.
Questions? Contact Heather Kendall at email@example.com or 503.968.7160 x20.